After HillHouse Nap Dresses last week I realized how much I like sharing what is hot and trending, often introducing it to my readers. So this one may be new to some of you as well – Bama Rush Week. Yes, Bama as in Alabama. Even though it is mid-August sorority recruitment week is in full swing at the University of Alabama and picking up on a trend that started last year, new students are documenting it on TikTok. And when I say documenting, currently there are 1.3 billion views of these videos. Yes, that is billion with a B.
I am not going to comment on any of the speculation about an upcoming documentary or the university’s stance on political issue but just about those bags! For Bama Rush Week more than 2,500 students came to the Tuscaloosa campus early to participate in sorority recruitment. Over this week they have tons of activities and tote around giant bags of everything they could need. You can check out the videos here but I want to share a combination of them for the total rush bag:
- A Spacious Tote – A good place to start and there are so many options but aggregating the criteria form all of the girls it seems the best ones are large, waterproof (think nylon), and can zip. Plus they should not be too expensive so they don’t get stolen. One of my favorites was the Lululemon Side-Cinch Shopper Bag i like the black but the rush girls? I am sure they would go pink or the purple (lavender fog).
- Reusable Water Bottle.- Stay hydrated is important for everyone, always, and as an aded factor, it is HOT in Alabama. Personally I love my Hydroflask but many also rave about the YETI Rambler 18 oz Bottle with Chug Cap.
- Mini Hair Spray – I am not big on hairspray so I would certainly not need a travel one but have you seen those curls? Talk about high maintenance even if there was not humidity and they seem to love this Kenra Volume Spray 25 55% Super Hold Hairspray
- Notebook – I love the PAPERAGE Lined Pocket Journal Notebooks, I actually use them at work and for the girls, it is a cute options to take notes to keep track of all of their favorite rush activities.
- Blister Bandaids – Reading between the lines it seems like heels are a bit part of Bama Rush Week and that means you will need Band-Aid Brand Hydro Seal Bandages for Heel Blisters though these offbrand ones are a best seller on Amazon.
- Stain Remover – These girls are booked from dawn til dusk and despite the OOTD videos they likely do not have time to change in case of a spill, thus a Tide to Go Instant Stain Remover Pen would be a life saver.
- Pain Relief – It seems a small supply of Advil Pain Relief is a must have.
- Portable Fan – Something your grandma has? Maybe but it is going to be 102°F (39°C) this weekend and that is TOASTY, so this –TriPole Handheld Mini Fan makes a lot of sense.
- Mints – For this kind of event mints > gum and we actually had these mini in Altoids Mints in the welcome bag at our wedding.
- Mini Deodorant – I think this one is self explanatory and everyone has a favorite brand and method (stick vs spray) but SECRET Powder Fresh Invisible Solid Deodorant is always a good fallback.
- Double Duty Spray – Like staying hydrated, SPF is also key and I have not tried it but this Kate Somerville UncompliKated SPF Soft Focus Makeup Setting Spray Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Sunscreen does double duty as it also sets makeup.
- Makeup Mirror – My iPhone on selfie mode is usually enough for me but if you need a real mirror this Milishow Compact Mirror is compact and has an LED light.
- Lip Balm – These girls are in full faces of makeup but you also need to remember to moisturize – and in walks Aquaphor Lip Repair Ointment.
- Dry Shampoo – Now this is one I can get behind. I have tried tons of brands while not luxury Batiste Dry Shampoo Original does the trick and the trial size is available in nearly every CVS and Boots travel section.
- Blotting Paper – I have never found these work well for me but the Bama Rush girls swear by them. If you are going to go this route, people love the Tatcha Aburatorigami Japanese Beauty Papers
- Flat Slides – Slides are all the rage – so many ones linked on my LiketoKnow.It page but these Cushionaire Women’s Feather recovery slide sandals are only $25 and come in every color!
- Fashion Tape – I used Hollywood Fashion Secrets Fashion Tape at my wedding and while I like this brand I have found many that work and that is what you need – for things to stay in place!
You might think 20 items would be an exhaustive list but you would be wrong. Some were even a bit too over kill for me to include above, like a sewing kit, really? These girls have these bags packed before you even arrive on campus and they are almost like Hermione Granger’s little beaded clutch. For added bonus you can through in some Kendra Scott and Lily Politzer plus all manor of monograms and you will be good to go!
Have you heard of Bama Rush Week?