My family does not have too many family recipes nor would I even say we cook alot but there are some things that are staples in my house and one of which is Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus. Since I am going to be headed home next weekend I thought now would be as good of a time as any to share this quick, easy, and delicious family recipe with all of you!
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
Serves: 6 Total Time: 40 Minutes (25 cooking, 15 prep)
- A bundle of asparagus: look for medium thickness stalks
- 1/3 pound of proschuitto
- One package of Garlic and Herbs Alouette Cheese (low fat if you want to be healthy)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Par boil the asparagus (cook it half way), somewhere between two and two and half minutes until one when you test a stalk and it partially bends
- Blanche the asparagus in ice water to stop it from cooking
- Place the Prosciutto on cutting board and cut off the fat if you want (If the strips of Prosciutto are very wide slice them in half the vertical way)
- Shmear the Prosciutto with the cheese
- Take the cheese covered Prosciutto and wrap it on a diagnaol around a stalk of asparagus
- Place the wrapped asparagus in a a greased glass pan or Teflon non stick pan (we usually use oil free cooking spray)
- Repeat the process until roughly half of the aspargus is wrapped in proscuitto and intersperce it with the remaining stalks
- Place the tray in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until you can see the cheese has slightly melted
- Optional: sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese
And when I asked my Mom to confirm the if you make a double batch or if the asparagus is a thicker stock you may need to cook for closer to half an hour instead of 20 minutes. It is nothing fancy but truly a delicious dish and I hope you enjoy it! Please do let me know if you make this Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus.
Do you have any family recipes?