Last year when I published my recap at the end of the called 15 Countries This Year I thought that there was no way that this year could beat it. Well, I was wrong – instead of 15, I made it to 19 countries in 2019 this year and it will be 20 by the end of the week. Now, not all of these were new and some with quite a few repeats. Between work and travel I have been to 19 countries this year – 6 were new to the list and 1 were repeats -while living abroad. And as I think it would be unfair to rank them, I have ordered the countries in the order that I visited:
(1) United States of America – I don’t live here anymore but made five trips this year, I started the New Year here from my 2018 Christmas holiday as well as two trips to New York and two more trips to see my parents in Florida.
(2) United Kingdom – 2019 was my first full year living in England and not only was I able crossing a ton off my London Bucket lIst things off but also visiting more of the country side include adorable towns in Kent, the Jurassic Coast, and the Cotswolds.
(3) Germany – I made 22 work trips to Germany in the first half of the year and that was certainly enough for me! However, on the last of my work trips I stayed the weekend and went to go see the castles in Bavaria and they really are gorgeous!
(4) Netherlands – Both of my trips to the Netherlands this year work trips to Amsterdam and after five trip in 2018, this was enough for me! Though I am excited to go back next year for the Tulip festival in April!
(5) Ireland – I went to Dublin for St. Patric’s Day with two of my friends and our weekend their was a great time. We didn’t do much touristing but it was none of our first times so that was okay with us!
(6) Qater – For Easter break I spent a few days in Doha on my way to Bali, exploring the capital city and the desert in Qatar – my first trip to the Middle East and certainly a memorable one, especially sand duning in the Sahara!
(7) Indonesia – This was the longest vacation I have ever taken, 18 days in total, and two weeks in Bali and the surrounding islands was not enough. I would go back in a heartbeat and if you are considering a trip, check out my travel guide!
(8) Singapore – On my way back from Bali I spent a three day weekend here and that was enough, a very transient city and country but it does have some pretty spots!
(9) Denmark – I went to Copenhagen just for one weekend for a rose festival and it was my first trip away with my boyfriend, funny to think about now. We went for the Copenhagen Rose Festival in May and had an absolutely blast!
(10) Spain – I have been to Spain a few times but this was my first visit to Ibiza for my friend Ali’s birthday. There were aspects I loved, like the beaches and Oceanside bars, and others I never need to do again, like the late night clubbing. And my goodness, what I would give to be as tan as I was in the photo below right now … yes please!
(11) Belgium – I still think Bruges is one of the most charming places ever been and it’s so nice that Brussels is only a two hour train ride from London, it makes for an easy weekend trip and my boyfriend and I went in August.
(12) Switzerland – On the same trip to Germany to see the castles in Bavaria a coworker recommend I check out Lake Constance and it was absolutely gorgeous. It is definitely one of those places I need to go back to, and soon!
(13) France – Paris for work is not the worst, I have gone twice this hear and fig in a few photoshoots before / after meetings and I can not wait to go back again next year when it is . warmer, especially as it is only a two hour train ride from London!
(14) Italy – I have been to Italy a handful of times but in September I went to one of the last Italian cities on my list, Milan, for Fashion Week and had a blast. I was only there for three days but had the best time seeing shows and some of the cities top attractions!
(15) Cyprus – I joked at the beginign of October that I was chasing the last licks of European Summer but that was not too far from the truth! I headed to Cyprus for five days for scuba diving – which was incredible – and managed to get some sightseeing in as well!
(16) Hungary – At the start of November we went on a family trip and I am so happy that both of my parents liked Budapest as much as I thought they would, it really is such a beautiful city!
(17) Slovakia – I must admit, Slovakia beat my expectations. I did not have high hopes for Bratislava but the castle was incredible and we loved our family bike tour (post on that one coming soon).
(18) Austria – I was in Austria twice this year – once during my Germany castles adventure and the second and longer for longer during our trip to Central Europe in November. It was nice to explore Vienna with my family after having been to the capital a few years prior while traveling alone as well as visiting Salzburg for the first time!
(19) Egypt – Lastly, Egypt. I only arrived a few days ago and it is actually where I am hitting publish from! We have fit so much in the first few days but no time to chat now, just know so far, so good – make sure to follow along for the latest!
And there you have it, 19 different countries in the span of the last 12 months. I keep seeing all of these posts that 2019 was a rough year for people and they just want it to be over – not to jinx it or anything – but my 2019 was pretty darn good! Let’s see what 2020 has in store!
Where have your 2019 travels take you?