(Source: Jen of My Beauty Bunny)
Two weeks ago I was sitting on my friend’s couch for girls movie night and after we ordered sushi she got up and grabbed her chilled jade roller and spent the next 10 minutes rolling. And this sparked a jade phase for me over the next two weeks as I remembered I had been gifted one but never took it out of the packaging and by the time I went to sleep that night, mine was also in the fridge.
Then over the weekend I did a ton of research on the best ways to use it and I am by no means an expert but here are some tips and tricks I picked up from a combination of articles from Harper’s Baazer and InStyle to niche beauty blogs. Plus I recently got back into the swing of writing about Beauty on Sparkles and Shoes and I do not want to loose that momentum. Without further ado, as a nod to the Back to School season, my cliffnotes version of Jade Rolling:
- They date back thousands of years and came from China, first found in beauty routines in the 7th century
- The most classic is the pure Xiuyan jade but since 2017 rose quartz and amethyst have also become popular, boasting different proprieties. The jade is attached with a handle with a metal frame, and they look essentially like a mini paint roller, as you can see above
- They are mainly used for facial massage and the primary benefit is to help sculpt and tone features, and the most popular claims are that it reduces inflammation and puffiness of the skin
- Most sources recommend keeping it in the fridge and it can be a great tool to use with serums, moisturisers, and facial oils
- It can be considered a daily facial, invigorating you muscles and tissues more effectively than you can with your hands, best to do it for three to five minutes
- The ideal way to roll is up and down and then from the middle of your face, outwards following your facial contours. And if you are getting really specific, it is better to apply more pressure on the up strokes, rather than the down
- Rollers can also be great for the neck
My favorite article on jade rollers added with a note that said the best way to make a rolling effective is clean living and 8-hours of sleep a night – haha, I think that would make any beauty or health product show dramatic results! And if you are still baffled, take a look at this great video on the best way to use it! And then wear to get it – this was actually the part that took the longest amount of research because most of the less expensive ads on the market are actually glass, dyed to match the color of natural jade. Thus, here are my suggestions for where to buy would be this option or this double sided one from Cult Beauty!
What do you think of jade rolling?