Today is the official start of NYFW and I for one am ready. This season New York Fashion Week begins on Thursday, September 7th and ends next week on Wednesday, September 13th but it is more like a 10-day affair with parties starting a few days before and ending a few days after. I have been attending for many seasons now – on and off since February 2008 – and it has changed quite a lot over the past decade. My first show was in back of the NYPL at Bryant Park and it has sense moved to Lincoln Center and most recently to Skylight Studios making it less and less convenient as it gets bigger and bigger. There will be close to 200 shows and presentations this season and now that I am caught up on all of the September issues I feel worthy to share eight little known NYFW facts with you!
Bathing Suit: Trina Turk Studio Solids Halter One Piece Swimsuit
And without further ado, eight NYFW facts:
- Fashion shows are only 10 minutes, 15 at max.
- Invites to shows, presentations, and parties will come last minute, as little as one hour before.
- Shows never start on time – the earliest I’ve been to was 20 minutes late and the latest, 75 minutes.
- Less than half of the shows are held in the same place so there is tremendous around of running around Manhattan and sometimes Brooklyn. That is why you see celebs and big influencers partner up with Lexus, Uber, or Volvo for the week.
- Twenty times more people live stream NWFW than actually attend (100k vs. two million). You can catch the livestreams of this week’s S/S 2018 shows here.
- New York Fashion Week actually kicks off fashion month which after leaving New York City heads to London, Milan, and finishes up in Paris every September and February.
- Back up chargers are your best friend as you will constantly be on the move and because there are so many people in such a small space batteries drain quickly especially if you are Snapchatting and Instastoring away.
- Even if you have an assigned seat to a fashion show if you are more than five minutes late (not to the start of the show but the official start time), you seat will be given away and the people in the standing area will be quick to grab it.
This year I am not planning on taking any time off of work to attend the shows and have a very busy weekend with a bachelorette and a 30th birthday party but I will still try and make time to attend a few events. And you know what that means 🙂 – make sure you are following along on Snapchat and Instastories – @kellydonlin on both – for live coverage over the next week! I hope you enjoy it as much as I am sure I will!
Which of these NYFW facts surprised you the most?