A few weeks ago at a backyard barbecue a coworker told me my fitness journey had inspired her to start one of her own and that she was already down seven pounds. Along with being tremendously flattered and proud of her I was more surprised to hear that for her, the easy part is food and the hard part is working out – where for me it is the opposite.
Working out, especially with ClassPass, for me is one of the highlights of my day and food – that is tricky part mainly because I really like to eat, especially chocolate, goldfish, and red velvet cake. Over the past year I have definitely figured out what works for me and one of the keys to a good week is to meal prep and I have a found a new recipe I have made three times in the past month that makes for an excellent lunch, healthy tofu fried rice. Every time I have tweaked the ingredients and by cross referencing this, this, and this came up with my own. The best part about the final outcome? One serving of my tofu fried rice has 5 grams of fat, 35 grams of carbs, and 18 grams of protein for 253 calories.
- 12 oz of extra firm tofu
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup of egg white
- 2 cups of instant brown rice
- 1/2 red onion of white mushrooms
- 1 cup garden peas
- 4 oz red onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 8 ounces of carrots
- 2 tbsp brown sugar ginger glaze
- 8 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- Strain tofu well and bake on sheet at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cook whole egg and egg whites and place to side.
- Microwave instant rice.
- Sauté vegetables until brown.
- Combine rice and egg with the vegetables.
- Add glaze and soy sauce to taste.