On Saturday night I attended my friend Tara’s Tacky Christmas Cookie Swap for the third year in a row. I really considered entering a new category this year – the best store bought cookie – but remember how fun it was making tasting treats the last two years I decided against it. (In 2013 I made Peppermint Oreo Balls and in 2014 I whipped up Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles).
You may have seen on social media or Monday’s blog post that I swam in a meet on Saturday morning and I knew making cookies before 7pm was going to be extremely difficult, therefore I went for an option I had saved to Pinterest, 3-Ingredient Buttery Shortbread Cookies.
- 2 cups butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4½ cups all purpose flour, divided
- Holiday colored sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 325F and line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and brown sugar, mix until fluffy and light.
- Add 3½ cups of the flour and mix until combined.
- On a large board, sprinkle ½ cup flour. Knead dough by hand for 5 minutes, adding as much of the remaining ½ cup flour as needed to make a soft dough. (The dough should end up soft and pliable, similar to play-dough, not sticky.)
- Work in desired amount of sprinkles, if using. (You may not end up using all the flour, depending on how your dough feels.)
- Form a ball, wrap tightly, and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out to about ½ inch thickness. Either cut into 3x1 rectangular strips, triangles, or use cookie cutter for shapes. Place each cookie 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Poke cookies with fork to design if not using sprinkles.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. If your shapes are smaller, bake less time. Bake longer for bigger shapes.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
Cookies in tow I headed to the 5th annual Tara & Kate’s Tacky Christmas Cookie Swap at Slainte, a bar in the East Village. When I arrived the cookie table was filled with delicious looking options and while mine turned out quite well I was over topped by adorable red velvet and Santa strawberry options. Of the 20+ entries in this years swap the red velvet cookies, strawberry cheesecake bites, and s’mores cookie dough balls were my favorite. After enjoying more cookies that I am willing to admit I actually signed up for a gym class while at the bar sipping on Pinot Grigio. #priorities
I had a great evening hanging out with girls I see on the regular and acquaintances I only see at a few parties a year. And yes, that is One Direction wrapping paper covering half a dozen tables at the bar. My friends even went so far as to put reindeer stickers over Zayn Malik’s face as he is out of the band. Casual and very adult of us.
I also had fun documenting the night on Snapchat. If you do not follow along, you should, you can find me at @kellydonlin, and shout out to Snapchat for the very, very fitting filter on Saturday night.
Tara, thank you for hosting another great cookie swap party!