Quick and easy appetizers are my favorite! I made these tomato and mozzarella skewers for my classy cocktail party a few weeks ago and they were a big hit. I made them an hour before the party and as I was preparing the last skewer I was guessed I made too many of these mini caprese bites for the 16 people coming to my apartment. To my surprise they went like hot cakes and 15 minutes after I took them out of the fridge I was looking at an empty dish.
When you only need to pick up grape tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and jumbo toothpicks from the grocery store this appetizer is a no-brainer especially if you already had olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper at home like I did!
- 1 package grape tomatoes
- 15 fresh small mozzarella cheese balls
- Package wooden skewers
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Halve all of the cherry tomatoes and mozzarella balls
- Thread 1 tomato half, 1 piece of cheese, and another tomato half onto each skewer.
- Place skewers in a shallow serving dish.
- Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Drizzle oil mixture over skewers; sprinkle with basil and salt and pepper to taste.
It is true that the wooden sticks my grocery store carried were far larger than the 4″ ones called for in the original recipe but the long skewers allowed guests to enjoy the appetizer with no chance of getting dirty! They were quick, easy, and a crowd pleaser, I would recommend them to anyone!