The heat index is 108 in New York City–that is hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk. If you saw my tweet yesterday morning, you knew it was already sweltering at 6:00 a.m. Looking presentable on days in 100 degree weather is definitely a fashion challenge, especially when all you really want to do is stay inside. It can be dreadfully hard to stay polished and pretty when it is a sauna outside: your makeup melts, your hair frizzes, and your clothes wrinkle. My number one tip? Wear light colors. (Dark colors absorb heat, and make you feel hotter.) Here are four cute outfits to look cute in this heat:
White T-Shirt / Jean Shorts / Necklace / Ralph Lauren Fedora / Jaguar Clutch / Gold Jack Rogers
Besides wearing white, here are a few more tips to look polished despite the heat:
- Skip the foundation–you’re better off without it than with it melting down your face.
- Messy buns, sleek ponytails and side braids will become your best friend
- You’ll be cooler in dresses and skirts, because they allow for more air circulation than pants
- Choose natural fabrics like cotton or linen for coolness
- Carry a lightweight sweater or jacket so you do not die in a frozen office, mall, or public building
- Go for statement jewelry–an armful of bangles or a big necklace, they will make you look put together even if you feel like you need to be scraped off the sidewalk!