Amid all of the posts and rants and articles about how to make this year the best yet I have decided to set goals this year that will actually help make 2013 spectacular. I really do not believe in unobtainable or frivolous New Year’s Resolutions so these goals in my mind are things that are actually obtainable:
(1) Take Care of Me. Drink more Water. Eat foods that are good for me. Try not to judge myself so hard because while I am aware of every mistake. I know my inner doubts, my hidden motivations, and my failings but nobody else knows them. One of my goals this year is to be easier on myself – focus more on the good and less on the bad, just breathe, keep calm, and carry on.
(2) Say Thank You. Seems simple, right? My mother raised me right – pleases and thank yous since the time I could talk. Living in a city where a cold stare is more common than a kind word I feel like this is being squashed out of me. This year, I am going to say thank you more – it only takes a second to say those two words and as the motto of one of my favorite shoes says, pay it forward.
(3) Reconnect with Mentors. I manage to spend time on Facebook everyday and at least an hour in the blog world but I do not have five minutes to email or touch base with the people who have helped me get to where I am? Not okay. Something I am definitely going to work on. And you know what? Even if I have to set reminders in Outlook or write it in my planner that is okay – it still counts. I think taking advantage of these resources of wisdom in my life will help make 2013 the best year yet.
(4) Have an Adventure. Just say yes, as many of my guy friends say, go big or go home. I am still young and still figuring out my place in the world and there is no excuse for me not to embrace opportunities for spontaneity. At some point this year I am going to take adventure of my very generous vacation package and take a trip.
(5) Give back. There are so many people in and around my communitiy who need help in a variety of ways so this year I am going to donate both my time and money to those less fortunate. In middle and high school I used to frequently volunteer in soup kitchens and I miss it, I will definitely start that again this year!
(6) Shop Smarter. I already have a full walk in closet. This year when I go shopping (a when, not an if) I will buy more investment pieces and less frivolous and inexpensive items. I have a style and this year I am going to work towards refining it.
(7) Expand my workout routine. I feel like working out, health, or fitness is on almost everyone’s New Year’s resolutions but mine is a bit different I have recently joined one of the premiere gyms in New York City and this year and I want to try at least one of every single class, this may sound extreme but I think it will really bring a new dimension to my time at the gym and with classes in yoga, cardio, conditioning, martial arts, Pilates studio cycling, conscious movement, and water workouts I have a lot to look forward to!
(8) Do things that make me happy. If i will get more enjoyment out of watching Pretty Woman for the 100th time while eating Kettle Korn on the couch then treking to some overcrowded loud bar with quasi-friends I just need to do it. I am a young woman in my 20’s, this peer pressure crap has got to stop.
I was aiming for 13 resolutions but I do not believe in resolutions for the sake of them so this year I resolve to make an effort to work on these eight things, here is to a very successful 2013!